Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Opal Collar, Step One


Opal Collar
Originally uploaded by satyridae
I lucked into an old Spice Islands glass jar full of gemstone opal cabochons at an estate sale several years ago. Since I moved all my stuff into the studio, I put the jar full of oil and opals where their fire caught the light. They have been whispering to me lately, and last week I took them out of the oil and started moving them around. They say they'd like to be part of a bead-embroidered collar. Who am I to argue?

I have really enjoyed reading other beaders' blogs which follow their process step-by-step. So much so that I've decided to document the opal collar here. The photo is step one- bare opals on Pellon.

At this moment, I'm leaning toward winter shades, whites and creams and ambers and golds. I'll have to see what the opals think about that. Stay tuned.

No comments: